Sunday, February 28, 2010

More tutoring

Amauro showed up just in time this week. We were to review mathematics in preparation for the TAKS test. It seems that TAKS prep is all we do, I mean he needs to pass and he is nowhere near the range where it would seem possible for him to pass. We went over some geometry. I noticed that it was the same exact stuff that we went over the first time I met him, and the second time. I was surprised because he still continued to have the same problems, he could not make his requests known on paper. He also had problem focusing. We were working one on one at the back of the classroom while the rest of the class was doing group work. He would constantly look over to his peers. Sometimes when the other students because a little loud he would disregard me completely, he would just zone out until I got his attention again. His teacher has discussed this student with me before, he has no outside service provided. He gets small accommodations in the classroom but he does not receive any special tutoring, or intervention aside form Saturday school. The area in which Amauro lives is low income. I am very familiar with the neighborhood because I live a block away. In some of these houses there are 10 people living in a two-bedroom house. I am not particularly sure about his specific living conditions but no one I the neighborhood is more than middle class.

No comments: